Yau, S S, An, H G & Buduru, A B 2012, ‘An approach to data confidentiality protection in cloud environments. (Report)’, International Journal of Web Services
Research, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 67-83, viewed 8 April 2013, Academic OneFile
Monday, April 8, 2013
3b. Collaboration and the Cloud Part 2 Privacy and Confidentiality
When I was watching the longer video about Dropbox that Ellen had on her blog, I started thinking about the privacy and confidentiality issues with using these tools in the cloud. I am not really concerned with this for my personal use, as the things I would be using it for at the moment aren't of any real importance, but if I were to use this in the future in a different way, I would have to rethink my use. There are quite a few articles on this issue, one that was published in 2012 in a peer reviewed journal is below. It talks about data being protected from unauthorised use except by the service providers themselves, which means they can use your data however they like. The article becomes a bit technical, but the main point is clear. I thought it was interesting that organisations (businesses) can use Dropbox commercially, and pay for this service - I wonder if you are paying for it you get extra protection? I would certainly be expecting that kind of thing. Check out the article - you'll need to login in with your RMIT password to access it:-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kathrine you wonderful person! That is what I am interested in and want to explore more. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Yau et al.'s article! I shall read it this evening.
ReplyDeleteI found this a helpful, basic summary of what Dropbox does (or does not do) with your data.
If I learn more about the privacy of data on Dropbox I'll send it to you. It reminds me of the Instagram hoo-roar.
E
The point you raise about privacy is a good one. I know we're not allowed to use Dropbox at work for sensitive material because it doesn't meet our min. security requirements.
ReplyDeleteIn that case, for cloud computing to work in a professional sense (or even with sensitive personal information like bank and ID details for example) you'd need to be assured that the cloud has adequate security in place.
Part of me wonders if anything is really secure on the web these days given the awesome abilities of hackers. I comfort myself that I don't really have much money or interesting data so I wouldn't make a good target, but it must be a different story if you're incredibly wealthy, famous or privy to very sensitive information.
Hmm.