Monday, April 1, 2013

Week 2 Wikis and user-generated content Part 2

After speaking to Emily in class last week, I decided to give Wikipedia another try.  Emily suggested signing up to Wikipedia which makes it easier to try things out in your own sandbox.  I did this and it is a very good idea.  I was able to add some things on my user page sandbox.  I worked out how to do headings and sub-headings with the help function.  This wasn't straight forward, but the help was useful.  I still don't think I'll actually be adding pages, but I do think I will use the edit function for fixing any spelling mistakes or typos I find as I come across them.  This is my very brief user page:-


It actually just took me a very long time to insert that image in this blog.  Firstly I had to figure out how to do a print screen on my new laptop (found the answer by doing a Google search and finding a forum where someone else had the same problem), and then working out that I had to save that image and insert it using the "Insert Image" icon on the toolbar (I was hoping to be able to just control paste!).  The fact that I used user generated content to help with my print screen problem indicates how useful it can be.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm touched.

    And I know what you mean about inserting images. I also had to look up a tech forum to work out how to do a print screen on a MacBook Air. It was TOTALLY confusing. Thank goodness for tech blogs and people who spend a whole lotta time putting helpful (well, sometimes helpful) comments on the web. They are so strange, but also so helpful.

    Anyway, you're not alone.

    Blog on my friend, blog on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on getting a user page up and running and for having a go in the sandbox. I love that term. At work we are migrating to Alma and the senior people keep talking about us all 'playing around in the sand pit'. Fun!

    I hear you about the sticking images in your blog. I was so frustrated that you cant Ctrl+P an image in. Frustrating!

    But you've done one thing that I've been doing heaps - googling 'how to' for Web 2.0 problems and gee if there isn't lots of help out there! Makes sense seeings as though its all user generated content and not ever user is as high tech and savvy as the next (as in I am always needing a little help from someone who know a little or a lot more).

    Well done for working it out!

    E

    ReplyDelete