Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 4 - Social Bookmarking

This is what I like!  Really practical things for organising information!  I signed up to Delicious a few years ago, but didn't keep using it for one reason or another - but have just signed up again and have started populating it with my links.  I decided to go with Delicious because I can access this at work - which is important because I would use the same websites at work and home.  As I have mentioned in my previous blogs, many web 2.0 things are blocked at work which is very annoying.  But luckily Delicious isn't one of them!  I think this will be the most useful of the tools we have looked at - for me - as there are so many websites I need to keep track of.  Being able to tag them will be useful to organise them.

A funny story - a few years ago when I didn't know anything about tagging, I went to a talk about social media or something along those lines - and they had a screen up of some tags attached to a record of some kind.  I remember thinking "gee - you'd think they'd use the same font size for all of them"...... luckily I didn't actually say it out loud!  I soon learnt that they were different sizes for a reason!

I will talk to you tomorrow night about answering the questions about one of these tools - I am happy to do Delicious - or another tool.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Kathrine,

    Thank goodness you can get one Web 2.0 tool work at your work!

    I'm just about to select a few bookmaking tools so I'll do Delicious so we can compare notes.

    Maybe us buddies should create a Google Doc to nut out which one's we'd like to do/ work through the questions?

    See you in class today.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen - your GoogleDoc suggestion was an awesome one. Thank you for making it - it's the first time I've used GoogleDocs and has forced me to learn how to use it in practice (always more fun than doing something theoretically).

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathrine, you’ve set some excellent goals, taking into account your previous Web 2.0 experience. Good work in editing Trove, revisiting Twitter etc. Don’t forget to give an update of your experiences once you’ve been using these tools for a few weeks. And there are some great discussions and communication happening in your group! Keep up the good work, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally looking forward to discussing Delicious with you. I created an account myself, but still yet to discover its full potential.

    Would love to har your thoughts.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello hello!

    The first line of your post was music to my ears: "This is what I like! Really practical things for organising information!"

    I couldn't agree with you more! I think this social bookmarking thing is fantastic. There's heaps of potential there to make my experiences of Web2.0 more manageable, productive and enjoyable. Glad to hear you're liking it too.

    Your funny story made me smile stupidly at the computer. My partner thinks I'm a nut for interacting with my machine so personably (but it's like I can sense you guys on the other side! I can't help it).

    Blog on!

    ReplyDelete