I have signed up to Delicious and Diigo
Delicious
Delicious is a free tool that allows you to save and organise links (to websites, pictures, videos, music etc.) on the web. You are then able to login to your delicious account and access what you have saved from whichever computer you are using, as long as you have an internet connection. In the ‘About’ section of their website they say the designers and developers behind the site are located in California and Dunedin in New Zealand - I was really pleased to see that New Zealand is involved in it!
I found it very easy to set up and add links and tag them. This is good as I would describe myself as a “basic” user of social tools. So if it was easy for me to understand, it would be pretty easy for anyone to be able to do it. That is the beauty of these tools - anyone can use them. Another issue for me is that it has to be accessible from my work computer. As I work in a government department library, many things are blocked from being accessed - in particular many social media tools. The whole purpose of this bookmarking tool is to be able to access my bookmarks from whichever computer and network I am using, and with Delicious I am able to do this.
Delicious appears to be a fairly straightforward bookmarking tool - it is possible to save links, tag them and then see links that others have saved as well.
Diigo
I have also signed up to Diigo, which was also a straightforward process. It looks like Diigo has more functionality - the ability to highlight text on a web page and add sticky notes, which I can see will be useful. I am still often tempted to print things out so I can keep them and highlight things and write notes on the page I have printed, so hopefully this will stop me doing that. I will be able to do all of this online. I am now thinking that perhaps I should use Diigo and not Delicious. It turns out I can access this at work as well. As Ellen says above, it is possible to transfer bookmarks in Delicious into Diigo. Beverley’s comment about using the My Groups function for her group of colleagues is useful to remind me of the other uses this has.
See also Google Docs for notes on the comparison from my buddies.
No comments:
Post a Comment